Whether you're prepping for a sale or renovating the home you just bought, these tips can ensure you come out the other side sane and happy with the result.
1. DON'T OVER-IMPROVE
Ask a local Realtor for listings of comparable homes so you can determine if it makes sense to invest as much as you plan. This is especially important if you expect to sell in the near future.
2. SET A REALISTIC BUDGET
Include a cushion for unforeseen expenses.
3. HIRE GOOD HELP
Interview several contractors for each part of the job and look for workers with at least three years' experience and good reviews. Also, check references and ask to visit their current work sites to make sure they're safe and well organized.
4. INSIST ON A DETAILED CONTRACT AND TIMELINE
5. PREPARE FOR NOISE, DUST, DELAYS AND INCONVENIENCE
6. SAFEGUARD CHILDREN AND PETS.
Harmful chemicals, power tools and more will be on site.
7. PHOTOGRAPH EVERY ROOM
That creates a record if things go wrong.
8. PACK VALUABLES AND COVER FURNITURE IN ADJACENT ROOMS
9. COMMUNICATE FREQUENTLY WITH YOUR CONTRACTOR
10. CONDUCT A CAREFUL INSPECTION BEFORE FINAL PAYMENT
Sources: Angies's List, US News & World Report, Better Homes and Gardens, homeadvisor.com